Skip to main content

If Not Us, Then Who?

Something that I encountered earlier today seems to be eating up my thoughts more than I thought it would! I was walking back home with bags of groceries and witnessed something unusual. A cyclist fell off his bike due to skidding and a pedestrian helped him up. Pretty normal, isn't it? But what really caught my attention was the praises that the public was showering the pedestrian with. The first one said, "Oh, that is so kind of you". The other one nodded and said, "It's hard to find people like you these days". I'm pretty sure the pedestrian wasn't expecting a hail because that person just smiled and walked away! 

Well, that just made me curious. Isn't it normal for a person to help out another regardless of what situation there are in? Do we really need praises for being a human? Mother Teresa was not expecting an award for devoting her entire life in helping fellow humans. Did she? Isn't it something that all of us should be doing naturally? 

We always read about a certain person aiding the underprivileged ones and brag about them on Facebook and how the trust on humanity is restored. But is this really necessary? They are doing something that's meant to be or ought to be done. The only difference is that, they are doing it and we aren't. I think that we are all too concerned about our own lives that we tend to forget or ignore the others'. 


I scrutinised the situation again and thought, "Why didn't I help the boy?". It wouldn't have took me long to put those grocery bags down and assist that boy up. I didn't do it because I knew someone else is going to do so. That exact thought, my dear friends, has become a norm instead! We tend to have it in all circumstances. We never tried to go out of our way in giving a hand because we believe, somehow or rather, a good soul will. What if everyone thought the same? Who are to reach out then?

Human is part of the term humanity. We are part of it! Life is not all about us. Every once in a while, we should make it a habit to look out of our windows and observe the world. There are abundance of ways we can make our presence worthwhile. It is time for us to finally do more than existing; let's live! :)


Comments

  1. Sometimes yours truly is also guilty of the same.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Different Person

Days passed and I slowly let the routine overtake me. Not wholeheartedly, if I may add on. Never thought that blogging would become a form of procrastination to me. Yet, that's the beauty of it, isn't it? Unpredictability. Life's uncertainty is what makes it oh-so wonderful. What's weird though is when we can't seem to pick up the changes that we personally experience. I mean, if anyone had told me few years back that I'd have certain changes in regards to my emotions and feelings, I, without batting an eye, would have argued with them. I used to roam around and brag about how we're fully in control of our emotions. "Find a shift, bring it back in line", I used to say. Ha! I must have been really high or overtly egoistic; the latter being the only possibility.  I had my emotions bound by an invisible band, unwilling to release it. I restricted myself without realising the shortcomings. I was afraid of attachments in fear of reject

Why Suicide?

It blows my head off that we are almost heading towards the half-year mark. Doesn't time fly? Time simply flew and the olden days' memories stay fresh in our minds. Or rather, dark memories bug our soul! From the title itself you would have figured out that this is going to be either a controversial or a macabre topic.  I am indeed baffled with the multitudinous cases of suicides that made way to the headlines in no time. Of utmost honesty, I have read at least 9 cases of suicides in a matter of 3 months! My mind went on a roller coaster ride with limitless jerks and twists and turns. I started thinking, as always.  Why do people commit suicide?! That very question lead me to an extensive (approximately 2 months) research. After much needed browsing and readings, I would like to equate suicide to GIVE UP! People simply had given up love, hope, joy, trust, job, dignity, and most importantly; life. They get tired of facing failures, agitated with their